I’d love to own one, but I can’t justify spending more than $3,800 for a
purse. So I got crafty — and made my own. You can, too. Here’s how. Supplies
Faux-leather bag, $97 at DuneLondon.com
-Faux-leather bag, $97 at DuneLondon.com
-1 yard of 45 millimeter square-sequin tape in lavender ($7.98) and 1 yard of 20 mm square sequin tape in red ($5.98), both at M&J Trimming, 1008 Sixth Ave., near 37th Street
-1 yard of 45 mm square-sequin iridescent tape, $7.95 at Mood Fabrics, 225 W. 37th St.
-Sequin appliqués (flowers, fruit or whatever catches your eye), $1.50 each at B&Q Trimmings, 102 W. 38th St.
-E6000 glue, $4.99 at Michaels.com
-Two sewing needles and white thread
Step 1: Cut about 20 inches of lavender tape. Thread
two needles — thread should be doubled up and knotted securely at both
ends. Handstitch two rows — one at the top, one at the bottom — and
gently push the trim toward the knotted ends of the thread as you sew to
create small gathers, or ruffles. When you’re pleased with the size of
your ruffles, knot the two ends of the thread together to secure in
back.
Step 2: Align and center the ruffle on the bag’s
flap, and cut off any excess fabric. Apply glue to the back of the
ruffle, then secure and hold in place until the glue dries; give it
about five minutes.
Step 3: No Gucci-esque bag would be complete without
the iconic red stripe. Measure and cut off one strip of the red sequin
tape so it aligns with the ruffle on the flap, and glue; hold in place
until glue dries.
Step 4: Repeat Step 1 to make the two ruffles that
line the bottom of the bag’s flap. Add a heavy strip of glue to the
ruffle, and attach it to the bag; hold in place until glue dries.
Step 5: Now comes the fun part: appliqués. Map out
exactly where you’d like to apply them and add a generous dollop of glue
to the back of each. Place accordingly, and hold until dry. Voilà! Your
one-of-a-kind, faux-Gucci bag is ready — for about $120.
No presidential candidate in polling history has been as hated by voters as Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are now. But a review of the last eight presidential elections reveals that the most hated candidate in the spring almost always ends up winning in November. This year’s top candidates have smashed all records for voter disdain. Clinton is “strongly disliked” by 37 percent of voters, topping the 32 percent who couldn’t stand George W. Bush in 2004. And the disapproval of Trump has never before been seen in presidential politics, with 53 percent rating him “strongly unfavorable.” The numbers were crunched by FiveThirtyEight, which released a set of charts comparing the “strongly unfavorable” ratings of presidential candidates stretching back to 1984. Blame the huge disapproval numbers on a polarized electorate and the celebrity status of the front-runners. But such negative numbers at this stage do not spell ballot-box doom. Over the last 32 years, all but ...
A science-fiction icon, a wisecracking comic legend, an eccentric restaurateur, an avenger . . . and an actor who held the stage for eight hours in a Dickens of a play. Here are a few notable Broadway players who died in 2015. He’ll always be known as Mr. Spock in “Star Trek,” but Nimoy’s first love was the theater. In 1977, as he prepared to replace Anthony Perkins in Broadway’s “Equus,” he told The Post why he wanted to get back to the footlights: “Look, I left ‘Star Trek’ when I got bored. I left ‘Mission: Impossible’ because I began to feel like a zombie . . . There were no fleshed out characters. I looked into the mirror one morning and I asked, ‘Who are you?’ And the mirror answered, ‘I don’t know.’ I’d made a lot of money, but I knew I had to buy my way out of my contract. And I did. I’ve loved the theater since I was 8. I needed my fix.” Anne Meara Ben Stiller and mother Anne Meara. Photo: osaswap When Meara and her husband, Jerry Stiller, did interviews, th...
N25.6 billion was allocated to the oil producing states as the 13 per cent derivation fund. For VAT revenue of N61.18 billion, the Federal Government, after deducting cost of collection of FIRS got N8.8 billion, while states pocketed N29.36 billion and local governments got N20.55 billion.” Adeosun blammed the reduction on the downward turn of crude oil prices in the commodity, and maintained that the government would focus on other non-oil sectors to boast Nigeria’s economy. She said: “Even though the revenues were currently down, non oil revenue is beginning to make up for the shortfall in oil revenue. Ongoing maintenance and the shutdown and shut-in of production for repairs at different terminals during the month continued to impact crude oil and gas revenue negatively. “We don’t have to rely on oil with its price going down and very unstable. We are focusing on revenue from non-oil and you can see impressive N369.882 billion compliance with tax,” she adde...
Comments