Philippine senators probe killings of hundreds of ‘drug dealers’
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Philippine senators opened an inquiry Monday into the killings of
more than 1,700 suspected drug dealers and users amid a crackdown
spearheaded by President Rodrigo Duterte, with witnesses accusing some
policemen of gunning down suspects or being involved in illegal drugs.
Sen. Leila de Lima, who heads the Senate justice committee leading
the investigation, said that she was worried about the widespread
killings, and that law enforcers and vigilantes may be using the
crackdown “to commit murder with impunity.”
At least 1,779 drug suspects have been killed, including 712 who were
gunned down in clashes with police, with the rest being slain in
still-unclear circumstances, possibly by anti-vigilantes, national
police chief Director-General Ronald dela Rosa told the senators, adding
that he did not condone extrajudicial killings.
The high number of deaths has alarmed human rights groups and leaders
of the dominant Roman Catholic church, as well as the United States and
U.N.-appointed human rights experts, who have warned the Philippine
government and its officials that they could be held liable amid the
widespread killings. Former
Justice Secretary and now Senator Leila De Lima, center back, talks to
relatives of victims of alleged extra judicial killings.
Another senator, Antonio Trillanes IV, asked dela Rosa why the police
have failed to stop the spate of killings perpetrated by suspected
anti-crime vigilantes, including motorcycle-riding gunmen.
“This is like anarchy,” Trillanes said. “It’s continuing under your watch.”
Trillanes warned policemen who might get involved in extrajudicial
killings that they would be held criminally liable and convicted despite
an assurance from Duterte that he would defend them if they face
criminal and human rights charges while fighting crime.
“What I’m saying, general, is the world revolves,” Trillanes told
dela Rosa and other police generals at the hearing, citing instances
when military and police personnel were criminally charged for heeding
unlawful orders.
“President Duterte is in position now, but what if his successor will
prioritize human rights and conduct investigations?” he asked.
The brash Duterte, who built a name as a tough crime-busting mayor
before rising to the presidency in June, has repeatedly threatened
criminals, especially drug dealers, with death, which dela Rosa has
emulated and even joked about. After facing criticism, both have
clarified that policemen were under orders to shoot only if their lives
are threatened.
Harra Besorio, one of a dozen witnesses set to testify before the
Senate committee, told the senators that policemen illegally arrested
her boyfriend and his father, and beat them up in front of her.
Neighbors then took them to a police anti-drugs station, where they were
shot and killed last month, she said.
While searching her house without any warrant, one of the policemen
forcibly removed the underwear of her 2-year-old daughter to check if
the child was used to hide illegal drugs but found nothing, Besorio said
in the nationally televised inquiry, acknowledging that her husband had
peddled drugs to feed his family. Human
Rights Commissioner Chito Gascon, right, gets a stare from Philippine
National Police Chief Ronald Dela Rosa as he reads his statement on
August 22.
Two policemen accused of shooting Besorio’s boyfriend and his father
argued that the suspects fought back and one tried to grab a police
officer’s gun, but Commission on Human Rights official Gilbert Boiser
said that was unlikely because an investigation showed the two suspects
have been weakened by the beatings and were already in police custody in
a station when they died, adding that each were shot thrice.
“There were human rights violations,” Boiser said.
Another witness, Mary Rose Aquino, testified that her poor father,
accompanied by her mother, had peddled drugs supplied by policemen then
remitted the money to them. In June, however, her parents were called by
the policemen and the two were never seen alive again, she told the
senators.
The two policemen accused in the killings of Besorio’s boyfriend and his father have been charged with murder, police said.
Duterte, a former state prosecutor, has been hypersensitive to
criticism of his anti-drugs campaign and accused de Lima last week of
having an affair with her driver, who allegedly collected protection
money from detained drug lords when she was still the justice secretary.
De Lima denied any wrongdoing and vowed to proceed with her Senate
committee inquiry of the massive killings.
Melania Trump donned a white Roksanda dress described as a “beautiful option for the modern bride” on stage Monday at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, Ohio. The “Margot” dress, which retails for $2,190, quickly sold out in most sizes on Net-a-porter’s retail website following Trump’s appearance on stage. A spokesperson for Trump told Women’s Wear Daily that she purchased the dress from the website. Roksanda Ilinic, the Serbian-born designer behind the brand, is based in London. Donald Trump’s campaign wants to promote the 46-year-old Slovenian-born model-turned-designer as a 21st-century Jackie Kennedy. “Melania will be recast as the next Jackie O.
Comments